Primegrid Challenge Series
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Goobee's Place Forum Index -> Boinc & Seti@Home
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vato
Highly regarded

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Primegrid Challenge Series Reply with quote

If any of you do BOINC, consider joining in with the PrimeGrid Challenge series http://www.primegrid.com/challenge/challenge.php

The next one is the Lunar Landing challenge
http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=961
This runs from midnight UTC July 18th until midnight UTC July 21st.

Is 3 day runoff on the PSP Sieve subproject (which does sieving for the Prime Sierpinski Project and for Seventeen Or Bust)

So if you do join in, make sure you only run PSP Sieve, don't run a massive cache (results have to be downloaded and uploaded within the 72 hour period) and make sure you're listed as a member of Team-Goobee.org http://www.primegrid.com/team_display.php?teamid=268
Sloth
Earning respect

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a few cores onto this. Was out later then I thought so was about 90 min late starting them up. Of course it looks like their servers are getting hammered so even now I can not get work. The machines look like they are slowly getting some work to do.

S.
vato
Highly regarded

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - hammered, but operating correctly otherwise (which is an improvement on the first challenge) - all seems healthy now.
With my stuff, I reckon we'd score points anway, but with 2 of us we stand a chance of top 20, maybe top 15.

Somewhat delayed stats are here:
http://www.primegrid.com/challenge/lunar/top_users.html
http://www.primegrid.com/challenge/lunar/top_teams.html
Sloth
Earning respect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the quad to download. Damn firewall. Got a couple other older machines to get on it but they will have to wait until tonight. Remote admin does not work well when someone is trying to use the system.
vato
Highly regarded

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you in the stats now - might manage top10 if we're lucky!
Sloth
Earning respect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is Banshee running. I managed to pull in 10k points and he has like 250k. I wanted to see what I could crank out in the first 24 so I am not holding any finished work back. I got a couple more going late in the day so I might be able to pull off 13k per 24hrs. I just wonder how big the dumps will be at the end of the race and where we will end up. I think I have given up getting any points as an individual.

S.
vato
Highly regarded

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banshee pulled a little extra out of the hat, but is often running at this sort of level, just not usually all on a single subproject. There seems to have been significantly higher participation on this challenge - word must have spread.
But you did manage to score (just) !

Final results for each of us and the team:
Code:
Pos    User                      Score          Points    TotalPoints   TotalPosition
30      Sloth                      45478.15    1.5        1.5               71
112    Vato                       10800.14    -            2                  78

18     Team-Goobee.org    56278.3      19.5       51.5             21
Sloth
Earning respect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firewall on the quad cost me. Not only did I loose the first 12 hours on it but the system got rebooted and it was reenabled. I did not have boinc as a service so when I uninstalled the firewall and rebooted the machine I did not log back in.
I now have boinc set up on most of the machines I can access and can remotely tag into them. I am looking forward to the next challenge and to take advantage of the work that went into getting setup for this one.

There is a lot of talk on how much the challenge grew since last time. I just hope to hang in there on the next one with the added growth.

S.
vato
Highly regarded

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we can persuade some other Team-Goobee folks to join in the next one, which is likely to be mid-August and will be an LLR challenge, probably Sophie-Germain Prime Search (which is sort-of a superset of the Twin Prime Search but using n=666666). WUs take 2.5 hours on a P3-800 - so should be 5-10 minutes on a modern machine.
Sloth
Earning respect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vato wrote:
n=666666)

Should be a fun one. Count me in if I remember to look for it. With that short of a run time their servers are going to get hammered.
vato
Highly regarded

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given recent server issues after the last challenge completed, they've decided to only run LLR challenges until the server is upgraded - makes sense to me. Sophie-Germain and +1 Prime Search subprojects also on hold until then - also a good move (both of these are available for LLRnet work if anyone is interested).

So the next challenge will be The Dog Days of Summer Challenge http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=993 for the 321 Search - work units issued AFTER 22 August 2008 00:00 UTC and received BEFORE 25 August 2008 00:00 UTC will count for this.

I'll be joining in as usual, though I don't expect to ever get individual points ever again, we might manage to continue getting team points for a while yet.
vato
Highly regarded

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumour has it that Primegrid 321 has found a new prime. Challenge will still be 321 starting at 00:00 UTC on 22nd August as previously posted.
Kosh
Little higher than a newb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may jump on this if we pass TNT in OGR before the challenge starts.
Sloth
Earning respect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vato wrote:
Rumour has it that Primegrid 321 has found a new prime. Challenge will still be 321 starting at 00:00 UTC on 22nd August as previously posted.

Where are you seeing this? Been following the Primegrid site since the last challenge and there is nothing there.

S.
vato
Highly regarded

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the 'News' section on the right hand side of the homepage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Goobee's Place Forum Index -> Boinc & Seti@Home All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: