Neighbor heard a "boom" this morning....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goobee
Flunky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Neighbor heard a "boom" this morning.... Reply with quote

And then the power went out in my neighborhood. Must have been a transformer. Yellow Mad

I got home and all my boxes were off. The battery back ups were all exhausted.

Strangest thing though, there was a trickle of power, lights were dimly lit. Everything else was out.

Finally back up, what else can go wrong? Yellow Rolleyes
Almost "THE MAN!"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't surprise me with the load on So Cal's powergrid. They've brought it on themselves though. You keep raising the environmental bar and denying development on those grounds, all the while your population keeps exploding and something has to give. Yellow Rolleyes
goobee
Flunky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the rolling black outs and the East Coast power grid failures a few years ago, all they have been doing is talking and raising prices. Changes and equipment upgrades have always been "in the future" as they put it. Has there been any substantial work started? Of course not. Yellow Rolleyes

One day the infrastructure will just collapse and we'll be sitting in the dark. #Beer
Almost "THE MAN!"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they only want to grant building approval for non-nuclear, low CO2, environmentally friendly powerplants, i.e. not coal fired. That means big bucks and long approval/building lead times.

Yeah, NY has its power problems too. That's just one more reason my home will be off the powergrid. It's going to cost me a pretty penny and be more work, but worth it in the long run. Yellow Cool
goobee
Flunky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You going with a wind mill generator, solar panels or both?
Almost "THE MAN!"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the land I get. If it has a year-round stream with enough elevation I'll go solar/hydro. If not, then I'll go solar/wind. They've got some new generators that don't vibrate like the current ones do and don't require near as much maintenance.
http://www.pacwind.net/

Add a LARGE battery bank and a diesel generator and I'll be covered for any kind of weather, for as long as it wants to stick around. Yellow Cool
goobee
Flunky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Cal Edison gives all kinds of rebates for using high efficiency appliances and the Federal Government has grants for people who install self generation equipment. You should be able to save quite a bit of money.

I live in this damn HOA, they won't let me do any modifications to my house. They had a conniption when I installed my satellite dish back in '92 and also when I repainted my house last year. Yellow Rolleyes
Almost "THE MAN!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goobee wrote:
So Cal Edison gives all kinds of rebates for using high efficiency appliances and the Federal Government has grants for people who install self generation equipment. You should be able to save quite a bit of money.

I live in this damn HOA, they won't let me do any modifications to my house. They had a conniption when I installed my satellite dish back in '92 and also when I repainted my house last year. Yellow Rolleyes

Sic the state/county/city gov't on them. As badly as the CA powergrid is hurting, a HOA denying the installation of solar panels is just assinine. Call Ed Bageley Jr. He'll lay the eco-smackdown on them. Yellow Razz Yellow Laugh
Tayra
On the right path

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote

I moved. Again. I'm now in a mobile home. I bought something to live in! YAY. But I don't know how badly the hydro's going to hurt (its a 1973)....But in good news the weather here is finally cool enough to get my boxes running again as well.

Don't know if I can afford the power - but will give it a try for now ;) Boy your solar/wind ideas sure look promising....if only they didn't cost such a pretty penny to get started! hehehe.
goobee
Flunky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the reasons the HOA Board hates me. When they threatened me about the satellite dish, I countered their threat with the FCC reg prohibiting HOA from restricting dishes. Mr. Green

Hi Tayra. wave
Almost "THE MAN!"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Reply with quote

Tayra wrote:
I moved. Again. I'm now in a mobile home. I bought something to live in! YAY. But I don't know how badly the hydro's going to hurt (its a 1973)....But in good news the weather here is finally cool enough to get my boxes running again as well.

Don't know if I can afford the power - but will give it a try for now ;) Boy your solar/wind ideas sure look promising....if only they didn't cost such a pretty penny to get started! hehehe.

Nothing wrong with a mobile home...as long as they aren't in tornado or hurricane alley. Yellow Wink Seriously, I've lived almost all my life in mobile homes. A couple of them were better built and had better amenities than any house that I've lived in. Yellow Cool

I'll probably live in one while my house is getting built. I'm actually thinking about putting one on an acre of the land close to the road and utilities whenever my sister and I buy. That'll give her a place to live close to where her log cabin is being built. Then we can rent it out until I retire. I can live there while I'm getting situated and building my house. After that we can either sell it or rent it to help pay the bills. Yellow Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Goobee's Place Forum Index -> Folding@Home All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: