Italy Situation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Goobee's Place Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goobee
Flunky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Italy Situation Reply with quote

Polo, how are you and your family doing? Yellow Sad
Honored member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm located in France. The area I'm living in isn't heavily affected. :=)
We're all confined at home. I just have to go at work twice in a week to maintain minimal survey of the equipments (switches, routers, servers, backup solutions with tapes...). I can remotely connect to my work PC (through VPN) and so I can work from home now... This was not allowed before...
All my family is OK. We just have to wait at home...

I hope you and your family are safe and healthy.

Crunch happily ! Mr. Green
vato
Highly regarded

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started running Folding@home again after decade+ away from it.
They're running Coronavirus WUs, as are Rosetta@home if you're BOINC minded.
Both have the team set up and ready to go.

Stay safe.
goobee
Flunky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that you guys are safe. Here in CA, people are panicking pretty badly. There's been run on food, cleaning supplies/disinfectant and toilet paper (not sure why people are hoarding toilet paper dontknow )

The state is basically in lockdown. People have been ordered to stay home except to conduct essential business. The National Guard has been put on alert, it's more than likely they will be deployed. You can't congregate in public, all eat in restaurants have been ordered to close. All sporting events, schools, entertainment facilities are ordered closed.

My company has basically shut down and only essential personnel are coming in. The rest of us who have company laptops are working from home. Bad times are upon us.
Highly regarded

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty similar here in the uk
the worst is ahead of us
Polo
Honored member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vato. Very Happy Long time no see !!!

I hope you're well and healthy and I wish you to gracefully travel this ocean of confusion...
vato
Highly regarded

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fingers crossed!

i think the next 4 weeks will be hard, and after that, who knows?

look after yourselves.
lonewolfz28
Almost "THE MAN!"

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prince Andrew (Governor Cuomo) finally deemed us worthy of reopening up here in the sticks. Fortunately, our county has had a grand total of 35 cases and zero deaths. Most of the cases are up in Lake Placid where the rich city folks have 2nd homes and brought it with them and spread it around when they ran away from NYC. #Cussing out

That's going to be the worst part of it for us. The tourists always bring all kinds of crap with them when they come up here. I can see our cases spiking a week or so after Memorial Day when the rest of them escape from the cities.

Still supposed to wear a mask out in public which I really don't mind. I actually prefer it as I can go unrecognized by people I'd rather not talk to anyways. Plus, it cuts down on smelling the all too frequent cases of bad breath.

I retired again back in December so I really don't need to go out much anyways. I'm well stocked with food (got a big freezer that's stuffed) and supplies since I had bought extra of everything right before I quit working so I wouldn't have to drive in the ice and snow. Anything else I need I buy on Amazon for the most part.
goobee
Flunky

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've set my target for 4 more years and I'll retire at 62. I was originally hoping for 55 but that wasn't realistic with the cost of healthcare and everything else. The only major expense I have is the mortgage and that will be paid off in 9 years (hopefully). My 401K tanked, I've lost a lot of money which really hurts. Yellow Cry
Almost "THE MAN!"

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to retire early with California's cost of living. A lot of people are hurting with the 401K's. In 4 more years yours might have recovered but not guaranteed the way this is going.

The more info comes out the more I'm thinking this is going to be more like the flu, i.e. a new strain (or 2) hitting every year with people getting it over and over again. There are already people that have had it more than once and/or had it for 40 days or more. Add in that there are already multiple strains floating around the world and it could get even uglier. eeeeek
goobee
Flunky

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, no one really has a handle on this bug. Some doctors say this, others say that. Some say it's airborne, others say it's not. The only thing that's certain is that it's going to be around for a while. Do we continue to keep businesses close and continue tanking the economy? Sheltering in place temporarily breaks the cycle but it's not a solution. If people are willing to make some lifestyle adjustments and take precautions, we can all go back outside again.

Kill the economy, we're going to wind up with a lot of people out of work and impoverished. dontknow
Almost "THE MAN!"

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. They're going to have to bite the bullet and accept that we're not going to be able to completely eradicate or even control this thing. It was way past that point when it was quietly circulating even before the Washington State nursing home thing grabbed all of the attention. And even if we could have shut it down then, the rest of the world was already getting hit and it was sneaking in through NY, CA and who knows where else.

There was never really any chance of completely shutting off from the world quickly enough. Americans are too arrogant, too stupid, and too set in their ways to take the necessary steps. Look at all of the spring breakers and other idiots that refused to forego partying. And others were too stupid to even learn from that fiasco. They just had another outbreak 50 miles north of me last week. Why? Because a bunch of college kids had a party and infected 30+ people. #Cussing out

At this point, keep working on treatments and vaccines, advise everyone to be as safe as they can, be considerate of others, and reopen everything with facemask rules, social distancing, and occupancy guidelines in place.

Unfortunately, there are always going to be inconsiderate morons who will refuse to follow the rules because they "interfere with their freedom". Freedom to be idiots I guess. Yellow Rolleyes
goobee
Flunky

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a tv clip where a reporter was interviewing some spring break college students. Basically, their attitude was "We're going to party, if we get it, we get it!" So their level of care stops at themselves. If they bring it back and infect mom, dad, grandmother, etc. oh well. Yellow Rolleyes

Then you have the people on the other side of the spectrum. I had a discussion with a lady on Facebook where she (actually she said her friend said it but I'm sure she is the one) would rather see businesses go bankrupt and close to assure that the infection doesn't spread. Talk about ignorance!

Hiding isn't the solution nor is running out and ignoring that there is a problem. You take precautions to minimize your risk. Just because the crosswalk sign flashes "Walk" doesn't assure that you won't get hit by a car. d'oh!
Almost "THE MAN!"

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, at this point they're killing the economy and peoples' livelihoods for not much reason. Pandora's box is open and there's no going back. All you can hope to do is manage it, now. It's obvious you're not going to get everyone to adhere to the quarantines even if it was feasible to shut everything except the truly critical (hospitals, police/fire, utilities, and the military).

The supply chain is so screwed up now that I doubt they could even get 3-4 weeks' worth of food and supplies to every person before locking them down again. And that's if many of them could even afford it after being out of work for over a month.

The unemployment system is still broken in many places. Congress completely screwed up 3 times already with half baked and poorly implemented relief packages to the point many people are saying "no thanks, just let us go back to work because y'all are incompetent and only making things worse in the long run".

Set standards for safety and enforce them the same way you would for anybody that knowingly put others at risk for serious injury or disease. You know, those morons with AIDs and herpes that know they are infectious and still go have sex without warning their partners. Then let people get back to work and living their lives.
goobee
Flunky

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the stats, opinions and predictions being released by the so called experts seem to be more subversive in nature than helpful. Depending on who you listen to, the virus was pass from animal to man, improper sanitation or was man made. The world has thrown major resources into it and they are no closer to figuring it out.

Toss in the conspiracy theorists claims that Bill Gates and others are secretly driving the public into a frenzy so that they will be able to make a fortune when they release a vaccine.

The way I am going to approach it is simple. We may have to live with Covid-19 for months or years. I'm not going to deny its existence nor am I going to panic about it. Make adjustments and continue living.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Goobee's Place Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: