BOINC Team

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Goobee's Place Forum Index -> Boinc & Seti@Home
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vato
Highly regarded

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: BOINC Team Reply with quote

https://stats.free-dc.org/teambycpid/Team-Goobee.org
Loads of projects to pick from - Come and join in!
As you can see, I've been doing plenty in the last 10+ years..
lonewolfz28
Almost "THE MAN!"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave BOINC - Rosetta a try and first it said it had no work to give, then it finally gave me a WU and then it took it away when I was 1/3 of the way through it. #Cussing out

Switched to BOINC - RNA, and it had no work to give. Brick wall

Switched to BOINC - World Community Grid, and it had plenty of work to give. Unfortunately, my temps skyrocketed, my fans are too loud to sleep with, even with earplugs, and it somehow screwed up my display settings (maybe their screensaver? dontknow ).

I spent about an hour trying to fix the screen so everything wasn't washed out, and finally gave up, shutdown BOINC, removed it from the startup programs and rebooted. Everything seems to be back to normal...until I started BOINC again. Everything washed out again, and I had to reboot again to get everything back to normal again. That was even after disabling their screensaver. This video card and CPU all-in-one water block/pump just don't seem to be up to the job of running BOINC. Yellow Sad

The good news is, I have a bunch of new water cooling parts and a better video card ready to install. The bad news is, I'm still waiting on the water cooling block for the GPU/RAM for that video card to arrive from China. Luckily, it has cleared customs and should be here before my 4-day Thanksgiving weekend. So, I might have it back up and running by next Monday. If it still messes with my display settings after all of that, I'm not going to run it. Shame on you
vato
Highly regarded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! Good luck with the cooling.
I would recommend installing BOINC and then going into Advanced View mode before adding any projects - that way you'll never run any screensavers.

i'd seen you'd joined this team in Rosetta - unfortunately, they hardly have any work any more since their last announcement.

Realistically, RNA has not have any work in ~10 years - just a handful of resends.

WCG does have plenty of work after they took a year off.

SiDock and TN-Grid are pretty reliable.

Let me know if you want further suggestions in specific spheres of interest.
goobee
Flunky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I wonder why the instability? LW and I have very similar machines, 32 thread AMD Ryzens, 64gb ram and RTX 3070TI or better GPUs.

My case doesn't breathe that well so I leave the door off during the summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Goobee's Place Forum Index -> Boinc & Seti@Home All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: